Nmap Development mailing list archives

Google SoC proposal: Ntrace

From: Arthur Amarra <arthur_amarra () yahoo co uk>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 19:36:37 +0100 (BST)

Hi all, this is just to give a quick summary on what I proposed for the SoC, submitted yesterday.

My proposal is to create a traceroute program called Ntrace. Ntrace should be able to perform both ICMP and TCP
traceroutes, and output both in standard and XML formats.

What makes Ntrace unique is that it will be designed expressly to work with Nmap, it is planned that Ntrace should be
able to read Nmap's XML output and trace routes to the targets based on the ports most likely to return probes. It
should also be able to output host lists for Nmap to scan later on, for example, checking the security of a router one
hop before a target would be useful for penetration testing.

And, in the long run, new Nmap front ends could utilize this close functionality between Nmap and Ntrace, and act as a
wrapper for the two programs to act in unison. This would make it possible for the front end to actually generate a
graphical map of the network, and the possibilities are numerous. I have thrown together a simulated screenshot(link
http://rootshell.be/~arthurv/nmapfe_concept.jpg) of what this could look like, but it could (and should, given my
extremely limited graphics skills) look better than that.

I might be thinking too far ahead on this, but I just wanted to share my vision. Comments and constructive criticism is
welcome. More details can be found on http://rootshell.be/~arthurv.

regards,
Arthur V. Amarra