Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How to find MAC address

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:36:02 +0000

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 00:19 -0800, uday kumar kunta wrote:
Hi all,

   I am not able to get the MAC address if the IP address is not in the same class.
  Can you please tell me the Nmap Option which finds the MAC for any IP address.

  For example: I using the IP 171.11.22.35(My system)
  $nmap -O 171.11.22.0-255    => It is showing the MAC addresses resp.
  But when i am running nmap for other series of IP it is not showing the MAC.
  $nmap -O 171.11.25.0-255  =>It is not showing the MAC details.

  Please help me.

  Regards,
  Uday.

What you are asking for is not possible with Ethernet networking.  When
your IP packets have to cross a network boundary by way of a router the
real destination MAC address is masked by the router.

Read up on the interaction between networking layers 2 and 3 and it will
become clear why this is so.

Brandon

--
Brandon Enright