Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: 4.01 on os x intel - now with added gdb / debugging weirdness...

From: Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 10:42:44 +0100

David Warde-Farley wrote:
On 6-Mar-06, at 10:58 PM, Matt Ostiguy wrote:

So, I
CFLAGS=-g CXXFLAGS=-g ./configure
make
gdb ./nmap

In, or out of gdb, I can now perform a version scan. To ensure I am
not hallucinating, I repeated the config and build process and got the
same results - life is good with a binary resulting from these flags
being set. So, that would appear to be a workaround.

Heisenberg bug! ;)

Kurt seems to have trapped it being a pcre thing, so I have no idea
why debug information would solve it.

Debugging means frame-pointers are never omitted for i386, which means
the stack is aligned differently when debugging is enabled. It would be
nice to see how this works with a vanilla gcc compiling nmap and leaving
the original pcre-library as shipped with OS X.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson () op5 se