Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Interesting paper by Steve Bellovin - Worm propagation in a v6 internet

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:37:02 -0500

On nmap:

Even given the sheer size of v6 space some of the other traits noted
by SMB - like the tendency of network equipment to be clustered in the
first few bits of a /48, and possibly observing new v6 netblocks get
announced and routed might be used by someone to make intelligent
guesses.

And nmap can probably be hacked into doing that kind of scanning.

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/man/man-target-specification.html

For Internet-wide surveys and other research, you may want to choose
targets at random. ... Undesirable IPs such as those in certain
private, multicast, or unallocated address ranges are automatically
skipped.

I rather suspect that the portscanning will grow to keep pace with the
actual number of v6 connected hosts.