Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap causes critical error on Novell Netware 6 SP5

From: Axel Pettinger <api () worldonline de>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:27:03 +0100

Kurt Grutzmacher wrote:

To be "fair" this is most likely the version scanner causing the
NetWare problem. Still doesn't excuse them but Nmap's doing quite a
bit more than just port scanning. Reminds me when OS Detection was
first introduced and apps started puking all over themselves.

Well, to be fair ... I first thought that the failed module
(rcmdsrv.nlm) belongs to Novell. But now it seems that it comes with
Legato's NetWorker backup software ...

Apart from that ..., it is indeed the version scan option which causes
the problem. No version scan, no abend ...

Regards,
Axel Pettinger