Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Execution problem : getinterfaces: Failed to open ethernet in terface (fxp9)

From: Dom Devitto <Dom.Devitto () ntl com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:49:48 -0000

Hmmm,

I've done some more digging.

This seems to have come in at version 3.90 - I guess part of all the frame
transmission changes.

(Using --send_eth or send_ip doesn't make any difference)

BINGO, got it:

"getinterfaces: Failed to open ethernet interface"

really means - for 'clean' OpenBSD 3.8 at least:

"You need more BPF devices, rebuild your kernel, and remake /dev, possibly
changing MAKEDEV"

Alternatively, using "ifconfig <interface> delete" to delete some interfaces
seems to work too.

TTFN,

Dom
Dom De Vitto  CISSP MBCS BSc        Desk: 01962 82 3363 / 716 3363
Security Consultant                 Mobile: 07855 805 271
Operational Security                <mailto:Dom.DeVitto () ntl com