Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Context error with --system_dns

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:26:29 -0800

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 04:13:49PM -0000, Sean Swift wrote:
Found a problem with --system_dns setting.

When I tried to scan an IP address on my network with just NMAP
192.168.12.45 no parameters I got this error.

Starting Nmap 4.00 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2006-02-01 15:52
GMT Standard Time
Unable to determine any DNS servers. Try using --system_dns or specify
valid servers with --dns_servers
QUITTING!

When trying to use the --system_dns as instructed by the above error
message it still did not work and gave me the following error

Thanks for the report.  For the next version, the error message will
say --system-dns.  And the old style --system_dns will work in that
version too.  As to the reason DNS servers couldn't be detected, I
think Doug is looking into that.

Cheers,
-F