Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Invalidating Stealth

From: jonathan roeder <jonathanbsa () sbcglobal net>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:31:25 -0700 (PDT)

I agree, Nmap should print and explain a warning when
using those options.

--- "Crenshaw, Adrian D" <adrian () ius edu> wrote:

Hi All,

            I'm working on part two of my Nmap video
tutorial (I call it
Nmap 2: Port Scan Boogaloo) and wanted to ask a
question. What all flags
cause problems that make stealth/obscuring features
less effective? For
example:

If you use an idle scan (-sI), but don't use -P0,
the true scanning IP
will be given away because of the ping.

Another example would be if you did an idle scan
with version and OS
detection turned on (-sV -O or just -A), while the
port scan may seem to
come from the zombie, the version/OS detect stuff
will appear to come
from the true scanners IP.

I also image that the use of decoys could also be
invalidated based on
which IPs the scanned host was able to establish
three way hand shakes
with during the scans (if version or OS detection
was requested).

Any others I should mention?

Adrian

http://www.irongeek.com <http://www.irongeek.com/>