Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: LAN/WAN Configuration Management

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:22:59 -0400

I have been looking at some of this.

On the XML part, I think it is a bad idea to add SVG to the nmap
output, but instead use the current XML output and transform it into
whatever you want, HTML, SVG, CSV, etc....  The XML as-is already
gives a lot of power, and I have been toying with XSLT, SVG and HTML
already with neat results.

As for network mapping, Fyodor has plans to add traceroute
functionality to nmap; it is in his original XML proposal:
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2000/Jul-Sep/0038.html

I've been looking at ways to visualize a format like this, and now I
am curious what suggestions this list may propose, and which approach
the largest group would fine most useful.

1st approach: Use XSLT on the XML output to create a DHTML + SVG page
that will render in a browser.  I believe I would have to use
javascript to do most of the graph placement.  While I truly like this
approach, and I am trying to think of a "lite" version of a graph
visualization to be added to the current XSLT file, I worry SVG is
still not tremendously adopted, and the last thing I want to do is
heavy graph work in XSLT and javascript.

2nd approach: Use a C++ or Perl wrapper to AT&T's graphviz (
http://www.graphviz.org/ ) to do the tough graph work, then export to
DHTML + SVG, or DHTML + PNG, or PNG, or etc...

This is what scapy ( http://www.secdev.org/projects/scapy/ ) does for
its maps as well as many others. I like this approach a lot for
robustness and portability, but the downside is the external library
dependency.

3rd approach: New complete standalone viewer - seems excessive, but
perhaps this list will think otherwise.

Wouldn't mind a few suggestions, or if anyone wanted to beat me to the
punch on these ideas, as grad studies are taking up more of my hobby
time than I had planned.

Thanks,
  kx