Nmap Development mailing list archives

Strange NMAP Init Error - getinterfaces();

From: "Antioc-I-" <antioc_i () cogeco net>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:10:06 -0500

Greetings Developer,

I have encountered some strange NMAP errors; I was hoping that you could
provide me with some additional insight into what the cause (and therein
contained solution) to this problem might be.

* ONLY experienced when running as root.

-CHANGE: Addition of a 3rd NIC to my FreeBSD box.

-OUTPUT:

me () my box# nmap localhost

Starting nmap 3.93 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2005-11-20 15:52 EST

getinterfaces: Failed to open ethernet interface (vr0)

QUITTING!

me () my box#

-NIC SUMMARY FOR MY.BOX:

ste0: D-Link DFE-550TX 10/100BaseTX
ste1: D-Link DFE-550TX 10/100BaseTX
vr0: VIA VT6105 Rhine III 10/100BaseTX             *** New NIC

Everything worked fine when it was just the two D-Link cards, but I can't
understand how the addition of this new NIC has caused a problem. I run the
latest version of NMAP (3.93) built from the FreeBSD-PORTS collection
(v4.11-STABLE). I tried re-building the binary from the ports, I have
checked for the existence of device and bpf nodes. I'm not sure what else to
check, can you point me in a new direction that I am over-looking perhaps?

--Regards,

-David.