Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 3.90 Problem?

From: Alan Jones <asj () ipa net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:43:49 -0500

I was scanning our local LAN on Friday with NMap 3.90 on Windows XP SP2
on my HP laptop with a 1gb nic and ran into an interesting problem.

I had Nmap scan with the following

nmap -v -sV -A -O -oA logfile 10.0.*.*

After running NMap I called over to a coworker to give me any IP on our
local LAN.  He gave me 10.0.6.1.  Guess what that was not in the log
file!!  In looking one of our 10.0.6.* addresses were in the log files.
This range is where we keep our network switches and KVMs.

Nmap got addresses in the IP reanges before and after the 10.0.6.* range
but no that range.

I then had Nmap check that IP address specifcally and it could see and
report on that switch and others in the range.  However for some unknown
rason Nmap could not identify the Nortel Baystack switches and it gave
me the fingerprint info and the url to submit the information.  This was
also suprising to me as I have had older versions of Nmap report they
were Nortel switches it just got the some of the details wrong.

Any ides on why Nmap may have missed that rang or why it now incorrectly
identify's the switches.

I appoligize for not gathering all the fingerprint data and sending it
in yet.  I do want to do that, but not sure I can get it for each switch
before 3.91 comes out if it lands in the next day or so.

Also is there an paramater to force Nmap to give all the fingerprint
information for me to send in on items that may be incorrect or partly
incorrect?

thanks for the help

Alan