Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap and Watchguard firewalls

From: "Kern, Tom" <tkern () CHARMER COM>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:16:29 -0400

Hi. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to send this email so i apologize in advance.

I have an issue where i'm running an nmap scan against my interent router(cisco). This router sits in front of a
Watchguard firebox X firewall. Whenever i run the scan, the fingerprint that I get back is the Watchguard itself.
This happens when I run it against my home network(or any host outside the firewall). It always comes back as
Watchguard.

I run nmap with the -vv sS -O switches against the ip of the host.

I've run nmap from a Windows xp sp1 box and a RedHat Enterprise Linux box. Same result.

Also, the linux box is not NAT/PATed by the firewall or router. The router does no NAT.
The firewall is running an smtp and dns proxy. All the other services are stateful packet inspection.
Watchguard has been silent on the issue but it seems the firebox x is doing some rewriting but I can't tell for sure.
When i run ethereal from the nmap host, i can see the packets going to the destination ok.
However, at the router, when i run a packet filter, i see nothing going to the destination i'm nmaping or the source
nmap host.

I was wondering if you knew of any isses with nmap and Watchguard. I apologize again if this is the wrong place to
email this or for wasting your time.

Thank you