Nmap Development mailing list archives

building nmapfe

From: Mike Calmus <mcalmus () nyx net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 21:48:42 -0400

I was trying to build nmapfe and had lots of problems with include
file paths, library paths, etc. I finally used pkg-config to spit out
all the include and library paths to get configure to work correctly.
However, it seems that nmapfe is not compatible with gtk+ 2.6.7 that
I have installed. Compiling fails later as the code tries to use
several previously deprecated (and apprently removed in 2.6.7)
methods and classes. I have successfully gotten the nmapfe code to
compile and link (but not yet really work) using 2.6.7. Before I
proceed any farther I wanted to find out if anyone else was working
on this. Specifically, I'd like to do the following:

1) Get the build system to look for and use pkg-config to load in
dependent libraries for gtk, pango, etc.
2) Rewrite nmapfe to not use the deprecated classes.

Doing these things will likely make it incompatible with fewer older
versions of gtk than it currently supports. What willingness is there
for this to happen? How important would it be to maintain
compatibility with the same older gtk versions?

Thank you.

--
Mike