Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 3.81 crash on XP with pcap 3.01a

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:09:30 -0800

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:14:33AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

  Found weird crash bug in nmap 3.81 binaries and source  for windows
with nmap 3.01a.

I suppose you mean pcap 3.01a as in the subject. Fyodor stated that the
recommended winpcap release is 3.04a. Would an upgrade take care of the
problem for you?

Right.  Though I should have noted that clearly on the download page
as well as the CHANGELOG.  I just added prominant notes to the page.
People need to use Pcap 3.1Beta4 (or later, if a newer Winpcap version
is released).

I'm sure there is a reason for the change of functions called here. I
must say that pcap_lib_version() is a much more intuitive and proper
name to get the version than PacketGetVersion().

It looks like PcapGetVersion() has existed longer (it is in WinPcap
3.0 branch), but pcap_lib_version may return more useful information
and it is portable to UNIX (even though I'm not presently using it
there).  So I tentatively think I'll stick with pcap_lib_version() for
now unless I get too many problems from WinPcap 3.0 users (Nmap will
crash!) or if someone has a compelling reason to switch to
PcapGetVersion().

Cheers,
Fyodor