Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap scan memory footprint grows without bound

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:13:18 -0800

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 09:33:47AM -0800, Carlson, Scott wrote:

nmap -v -v -d -d -d -pT:80 -T5 -n -oG port80_scan --append_output 10.0.0.0/8

Heh.  I love users who just decide one day to do an "insane mode"
(-T5) scan of 24 million IP addresses :).  That is certainly a good
way to catch bugs, as a memory leak small enough that nobody has ever
noticed/reported suddenly grows large enough to overcome your beefy
machine.  With the help of the excellent, free valgrind utility
(http://valgrind.kde.org/), I was able to narrow the leak down pretty
quickly.  I have released an unofficial version 3.77 in the Nmap dist
directory ( http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/?M=D ).  Let me
know if you still have any problems.  The list of changes is at
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap_changelog.html as always.

Cheers,
Fyodor