Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fragmentation scan

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:26:22 -0700

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:32:51PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

How 'bout just borrowing code from pcapsend.c -- we're already doing
this anyway, and the logic shouldn't be different between Windows and
other OS's.

That sounds like a good idea, though I don't know if the UNIX pcap
offers the same sort of packet sending on all platforms.  And, of
course, there is the serious ARP issue you mentioned.  Also, UNIX has
different ways to determine the host interface MAC address and such.

Otherwise I'll code up an ARP reciever thread, hopefully in a
non-Windows-specific manner, which I was planning to do anyway, and the
whole mess could be transplanted into the core code.

That should be good, though I don't think it should be a separate
thread.  Nmap always uses non-blocking I/O for its UNIX activities,
and pcap will queue received packets for you.

FWIW, it could be handy to support MAC spoofing of scans.  I would have
had a good white-hat use for that a couple days ago.  An interesting
black-hat use comes to mind as well, but I'll leave that to everyone's
imagination.

That might be handy.  On Linux and may other systems, it is simple to
change the MAC on the command line, though I can think of cases where
having Nmap do the spoofing itself is preferable.  Nmap would of
course have to then handle the other side of arp resolution.

So long as I'm asking, is STL allowed in the core yet?  I was planning
on using it in the Windows code (where STL is "always" present), but
I'll avoid it in pcapsend if that might cause problems later.

Portable STL is fine for the C++ parts of Nmap.  Service scan uses it
and there have been hardly any problems with non-conformant compilers
and such.

Cheers,
-F