Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap scan too slow and -n option

From: micro dev <microdev1 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:56:13 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks.
But I feel problem here is not related to old version of NMAP coz it is working just fine in
other subnets. My point was to know what can cause these problems.
I will try with new version also but it will be good if I can know the reasons for the
problem. I feel it is related to underlying network rather than NMAP. And it will be interesting to know what can cause
NMAP to scan so slow.

Bo Cato <jcato73 () comcast net> wrote:
Judging from your nmap version of 3.30 you are close to a year and a
half out of date. 3.70 is the latest version. Download, install.

If you still have problems then come back.

-b

md> Hi,
md> NMAP scans for few subnets were taking lot of time to come back.
md> Earlier, one class C subnet used to take 6 minutes on an average.
md> But when I started scanning subnets in one location, scans took more than 15 minutes.
md> I noticed that NMAP is not able to resolve hostname of IP addresses in the range.