Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: raw-sockets and Win-XP SP2

From: "Leigh" <hst () iprimus com au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:37:51 +1000

I am beta testing XP SP2 and I think nmap is working okay for me thus far (although I have had horrendous problems with programs that use packet.dll even in XP SP1 & nmap always wants -P0 but I thought this may have something to do with my IDS). We are currently on release 2 of the SP and I am with no idea when the final is. Judging by the number of people whinging on the listserv with nasty errors in the networking/security aspects - it will probably be a long while coming.

I have quizzed them about why they are doing this & I'll let you know what they say (if/when I get a reply). And yeah, Steve Gibson is an arse who I guess happens to release good utilities for noob windows users every once in a while. What is he going on about anyway?, to my knowledge there are no trojans or worms that exclusively use raw sockets? but I could be wrong about that.

It appears that we would need is the negative of his existing "socket lock" program (that unfortunately *disables* :( raw sockets), im sure it would be possible for some bright spark to code.

Leigh
hst () iprimus com au

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gisle Vanem" <giva () bgnett no>