Nmap Development mailing list archives

Retarted XV.Net spam filter

From: Fyodor <fy-xvtest () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:38:43 -0800

Hey everyone.  I'm back from a great Europe trip, and back to Nmap
coding and book writing.

People who have been posting to nmap-hackers and nmap-dev have been
receiving forged emails from XV.Net purporting to be "a automated
message from nmap-dev () insecure org".  It also claims that "We have
chosen to use XV.NET (eXtreme Email Protection) as our Anti-Spam
E-Mail filter due to the security and ease. We suggest you use it
also!"  This is the most retarded spam filter I have ever seen.  It
apparently just looks at the 'To' address and then forges email as
coming from that address.  This obviously doesn't work for mailing
lists and probably breaks for email that is CC'd too.  Whois shows
that it seems to be run by the same guys who hijacked the
kismetwireless.com domain (real kismet is kismetwireless.net).  The
mail headers don't show what user is forwarding to XV.  If anyone is
using this nonsense, please desist or unsubscribe from the Nmap lists.
If anyone gets further responses to your posts like the one below,
please let me know.  Thanks to Martin for forwarding me this one.

----- Forwarded message from "support @ xv. net" <nmap-dev () insecure org> -----