Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Idle Scanning behind stateful firewalls

From: "CBuH." <479001601 () mail ru>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:17:20 +0300

Hi everyone,

My thoughts on the case of "nmap's sending of SYN+ACK to the Idle" is that if
it would be SYN only, then Idle should send SYN+ACK,... (rfc -- yes??) ...
but it will retry sending more SYN+ACK's if it then found nothing on reply.
Right? Then we know nothing on the quantity and the timeout of those retries,
and the IPID would increase ancommonly. We can try Idle for these config
(quant.&timeout) but it will increase the time of scanning one port to
minutes.

That is all IMHO. :-)