Nmap Development mailing list archives

suitability of java for vulnerability scanners

From: alan donald <netquantum () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 03:39:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi.
Please bear with me since I think this is the best
place this question can be answered although I know
this forumn may not be for questions like these.

My question is very basic in nature. So forgive me for
being naive.

I wanted to know why java is not used to make
softwares like nessus or nmap. Is it because it may
not have the ability to make packets. Is there any
such library(and to what extent can it be used) that
can be leveraged in java which can help make a
software like those mentioned above.

Plus I have not seen java being used for such
softwares. Rather C or perl seems to be a more common
option. Can you shed  some light on this too.

Thanks.

Regards,
Alan