Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap probes per port

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:05:34 -0600

On Mar 18, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Tirath Rai wrote:
All

I'm trying to reduce the number of probes sent per port for
TCP and UDP scans.

I've searched the source code and strace'd Nmap. I thought
perhaps someone else here had done it already?

Nmap-3.50 sends approx 16 TCP SYNs for a filtered port.
My aim is to reduce the time taken to do a full port scan
and by sending less probes per port be slightly more
stealthy. Ideally I'd like one probe per port sent, I know
this may affect the reliability of the results.

What command line options are you using?