Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: probe for unspecified port

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:10:06 -0600

On Mar 6, 2004, at 11:50 AM, testic wrote:
Why is this command
 nmap.exe -v -sS -p21 -O pcgv2

sending a ping and probes to port 80 and 21?
I didn't specify port 80. What did I miss?

I would imagine that Nmaps default behaviour is to "TCP ping" a host before scanning to determine whether or not the host is up. If you dont want this
behaviour use the -P0 switch to not ping at all.

You are correct for the reason. You could also do a -PS21 saying to use a TCP SYN for the PING on port 21. It will see that the port is open from the initial SYN and not duplicate it.

Word of Warning: Scanning for one port and using -O will not be very accurate at all. For an accurate scan you need an open and a closed port.