Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: LAN audits, source IP address

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:07:01 +0100

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:48:57PM -0800, Curtis Doty wrote:

On the subject of using nmap on a directly connected segment; I'm
periodically using nmap on a linux alias such as eth0:1 and I keep
forgetting to use -s to tell it to adjust the source accourdingly.

A neat feature to add to nmap would be some sort of automagical selection
of the appropriate source address/interface if the target is in the same
subnet.

Similar situation here. I have Linux box with multiple IPs (aliasing)
and routing tables that tells which source IP to use for which
destination though nmap still uses the first IP of the interface
unless explicitely told by -s ... I would appreciate this feature too.

Martin Mačok