Nmap Development mailing list archives

'unknown physical layer type' error when running nmap 3.30

From: smharr4 () qwest net
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:46:06 -0700

Fyodor, et al.,

I finally managed to get a clean build of nmap under IRIX earlier today
after upgrading to the latest gcc version, but whenever I run it I get
this error:

root@bedivere:~> /opt/nmap/3.30/bin/nmap -I -O -P0 -sT -v gwain

Starting nmap 3.30 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-08-30 14:21 PDT
Host gwain (172.16.1.9) appears to be up ... good.
Initiating Connect() Scan against gwain (172.16.1.9) at 14:38
Adding open port 8080/tcp
Adding open port 119/tcp
Adding open port 110/tcp
Adding open port 25/tcp
Adding open port 22/tcp
The Connect() Scan took 1 second to scan 1644 ports.
pcap_open_live: snoop: unknown physical layer type

It's curious because it does start the scan, the machine at 172.16.1.9
picks up a single port probe after I try and run nmap against it, and
always a different port number each time I try it. After the probe, it
aborts with the message above.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what's causing the error and the scan to
abort?

I have libpcap installed (version 0.7.2) from http://freeware.sgi.com,
nmap was compiled with gcc 3.3, and I'm running IRIX 6.5.21m on a R10000
Indigo2IMPACT.

--
Steven Harrison

0 OK, 0:1