Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Speeding up single ports scans over large networks

From: "testic" <testic () testic demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:16:39 +0100

Hi again,

I used the commandline of

nmap -PS80 -sS -p80 -oG [filename] -n -T4 [Netblock]

And it was rather quicker, much better, however Nmap SIGSEGV after scanning
6630 hosts producing a core dump :\

I then used: nmap --resume [filename]
Nmap then reported that '--resume' was an unrecognized option, after a pause
of a few seconds it resumed anyway.

Also I get the occasional 'sendto in send_tcp_raw: sendto(4, packet, 40, 0,
<IP>, 16) => Operation not permitted' style message, I have previously
understood that this was due to IPTables and/or other firewall software
running on the scanning machine, with this in mind I had turned off IPTables
for the duration of this scan and Nmap is running as root, any ideas as to
why these messages appear?

Update: Another SIGSEGV after a total of 9616 hosts.

I shall defer from resuming this scan until pending further information.

-testic