Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ACK Scans

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:00:52 -0700

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 12:21:34PM -0400, Triple Crown wrote:
I'm researching some snort archived files from last year and have keyed on
some detects triggered by this snort rule:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"SCAN nmap
TCP";flags:A;ack:0;
reference:arachnids,28; classtype:attempted-recon; sid:628; rev:1;)

I've tried to reproduce the scan with nmap of sending a lone ACK flag
with an acknowlegement  number of 0 without any success.

Nmap used to have this behavior, but the ACK number was changed to a
more random value to be more stealthy.  If you want to reproduce that
again for some reason, you could use an old version of Nmap, modify
the current version, or use a lower level packet probing tool like
hping2.

On a side note -
It may just be my ignorance of using the -PT  flag properly but I found
you can't do
a -PT80 as suggested in the man pages to scan port 80, but by adding
-p80 it
works properly.

-PT80 only sets the port used for pinging.  So yes, you do need to
 give port scan port number(s) as well via flags such as -p80.

Cheers,
-F