Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: two problems and a question with nmap or nmapwin

From: Bernd Zeimetz <zeimetz () rbg informatik tu-darmstadt de>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 23:23:52 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

Taking 233 seconds to scan one port (it's actually the machine nmap is running on) means that scanning a range of 255
machines might take as long as 17 hours to finish.  I swear I did the same command before installing winpcap2.3 and
it took less than 1 minute to do 255 addresses.  Any ideas?

If I enter a range option of /16 to scan, for example, 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255, the system nmap is
running on reboots itself!  An option of /24 is okay, but /16 and I get a reboot.  And a chance to decide whether or
not to run chkdsk, since it's the kind of shutdown that W2K thinks is very unkind.  Any ideas?  (This was happening
BEFORE I installed winpcap).

Try an operating system, not windows.

Bernd