Nmap Development mailing list archives

Unable to use nmap on Windows XP and 2000

From: M.Ashcraft () epixtech com
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:09:28 -0600

I downloaded the nmapwin_1.3.0.exe from www.insecure.org and installed per
documentation.

I can not get nmap or nmap win to function on Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
In both nmap and nmapwin report "(0 hosts up)" no matter what I do.  It
does not return immediately but takes about 30 seconds when scanning a
single IP with default settings.  Enabling windows trace etc show that all
is well.

I find the following error in the windows XP event log (Similar error is
in Win 2000)

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category: None