Nmap Development mailing list archives

Design decisions

From: R Anderson <listbox () pole-position org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:58:38 +0100

Greetings, F[ry]odor and everyone

I need some input before I do the Wrong Thing:

1. I have a working patch that adds intermediate ICMP's received, per the schema proposal, to XML output. But if nmap decides not to show filtered ports, this info will be lost. For now I have added an option --showallports that disables such behaviour (for all output formats). While this is handy sometimes for other reasons, it's not a canonical solution to this problem. I can think of two alternatives:

- Never collate ports in the XML output. I thought this was the obvious solution until I realised it will lead to unnecessary large XML files when scanning 128K ports :^)

or

- Always include the filtered ports that have extra info. This is sensible, right?

2. If I want to include non-intermediate ICMP in the XML output (eg. a strange message from the target itself, perhaps on just some ports), how should I encode it? By leaving out the "srcipaddr" or by filling it in with the target address? I prefer leaving the srcipaddr property out. Or should we modify the schema a little?