Nmap Development mailing list archives

Patch/Feature req.: Multiple ports when doing raw tcp ping

From: "Gabriel L. Somlo" <somlo () acns colostate edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:58:43 -0700

Hi,

I've been using nmap to check a few of my subnets where firewalls block
icmp echoes, and some range of TCP ports. There's lots of them, so
using "-P0" is not really an option, but then again I'm missing a lot
of machines because some of them are likely to block wahtever TCP port
I use to do TCP pings.

I'm wondering if it may not be worth allowing for *several* tcp ports
to use when doing tcp pings.

I've whipped up a patch to 3.10ALPHA6 which implements this. The usage
would be something like this:

        nmap -sS -PT22,80,55555 <aaa.bbb.ccc.0>

When doing this as non-root via TCP connect, only the first specified
port (22) would be used. However, when doing it as root, raw tcp pings
would be sent to all ports, thus improving the chances of correctly
predicting whether any individual host is up or down.

Let me know what you guys think about this...

Thanks,

Gabriel

--
Gabriel L. Somlo               Academic Computing & Networking Services
Colorado State University      Tel: (970)297-3707   Cell: (970)567-1017