Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Small patch to add "add port" output from -v -v -v to XML format

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:27:03 -0800

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 09:37:30AM +1857, Max Schubert wrote:

for glue modules it would be very nice to call a library function and
get back a list of hosts as C structs that contains a list of C structs
for ports etc .. or C++ object instances.  I am curious about why you
prefer the XML route?

Because Nmap is still evolving rapidly enough that I am not ready to
commit to a stable API.  On the other hand, I feel that I can keep the
XML output backward-compatable while still introducing cool new
features and technology to Nmap.  Other people can (and do) create
shared library builds of Nmap, but those rarely last long because Nmap
changes more rapidly than they can keep up the patch.  The XML output,
on the other hand, should remain reasonably stable.

Cheers,
-F