Nmap Development mailing list archives

XML output, SAX, and nmap. [was Re: PostgreSQL patch]

From: "Max Schubert" <musitechman () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 12:10:44 -6756

Hi,

    I have tested the SAX2 parser in perl

    XML::SAX::PurePerl

    And it does parse real-time ... stdout just has to be unbuffered to see things :) ..
    so the same would be for Java and others, as the perl parser follows the SAX2
    standard ...

    http://sax.sourceforge.net

    This real-time parsing is why SAX came about .. DOM (document object model) can
    use a lot of memory as it reads the whole document and makes an in-memory tree of
    it ... which is great for apps that need a whole doc at a time ... for apps that are
    just interested in parts of an XML doc (like a search engine) it is too much and too
    slow.

    So this will not be a hinderance if we decide to have nmap have "live" XML output ..
    I will attempt this with the source once I get my linux box back up (I am on cygwin
    right now on Win9blech) ... I will try this this week and see how far I can get :).

    If it works, I will switch my perl modules to parsing the XML as well and other
    external tools can all provide an event-driven API!

    Anyone interested in working on this with me?

Max