Nmap Development mailing list archives

-PI generating echo requests from 0.0.0.0

From: "Alex Ferguson" <df_alex () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:10:27 -0400

Running nmapwin 1.3.0, and the windows command line nmap version 3.00, on my windows xp pro and home systems, I noticed the following:

For all scan types except sT and sP, when using a ping type including icmp (-PI or the default icmp + tcp ack), the icmp echo requests are generated with a source ip address of 0.0.0.0 instead of the machine's real ip.

Obviously the target host doesn't respond to these pings and this causes some hosts to falsely appear down.
I tried upgrading from winpcap 2.3 to 3.0 alpha, with no differences.
An example of a command that generates the behavior is:

nmap -sS -PI 192.168.1.100

or even

nmap -sS 192.168.1.100

Of course the latter sometimes detects that the target is up through the tcp ack ping. The nmap on my openbsd system behaves correctly. (No 0.0.0.0 stuff) I hope I made sense here, and thank you for your time. I'd appreciate knowing what dumb thing I'm doing wrong, if that's the case :)

--Alex