Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap-dev-only release: Nmap 3.10ALPHA1

From: Stan Bubrouski <stan () ccs neu edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:07:13 -0400

William McVey wrote:
On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 03:18, Fyodor wrote:

o Major code restructing, which included conversion to C++ -- so
 you'll need g++ or another C++ compiler.  I accidently let a C++
 requirement slip in a while back and found that almost everyone has
 such a compiler.  Windows (VC++) users: see the README-WIN32 for new
 compilation instructions.

Am I the only person who hates C++ and is sad to see the poC (plain ole
C) version of nmap die?  It seems odd to me that a project that had
conniptions on bringing in external libraries (libnet, libxml/libsax)
due to portability and bloat issues would go down the C++ route...

I'd be interested to see how it works out.  I'm not a big fan of C++
myself, but at the same time if it works, if it performs, I wouldn't
mind it.

-Stan

  -- William