Nmap Development mailing list archives

Plug-in framework for nmap?

From: "Max" <musitechman () earthlink net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 07:56:36 -6652

Hi,

    I have been seeing a lot of neat nmap fork projects on this last over the
    last several months ... it is cool to see so many interesting ideas being
    implemented, but how about re-designing nmap to handle plug-ins so that all
    these cool add-ons can be done as .so/.dll files and added at run-time?

    The disadvantage is a lot of code re-work and figuring out where are the best
    places to allow outside hooks .. the advantage is keeping the core nmap
    consistent and as portable as possible ...

    This would also lead to allowing for scripting->C APIs .. Ruby, perl, python

    I haven't seen this discussed on this list before .. anyone interested in this?
    I have been practicing my C so I am feeling more competent with it, so I could
    definitely help .. but I probably couldn't do this on my own.

Max