Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap as non-root

From: Giacomo Cariello <jwk () bug it>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:28:18 +0100

There are many examples of unices which don't require root permission to send raw packets or access bpf (through the use of special ACLs or with kernel patches that allow specific groups to have raw network access), I've made some patches to nmap that allow such behaviour. If anyone is interested or if there's any will to include them in the distribution, I can make them a bit more "user-friendly" and post them.

Furthermore, in my nmap 2.54 beta 25, I found some bugs where the program is attempting to get source address: gethostname() && gethostbyname() sequence is called, while || operator should be used in place. I'm not sure wether this has been fixed in later releases.

Giacomo Cariello, jwk () bug it
KeyID: 3072/1024/0x409C9044
Fingerprint: 7984 10FD 0460 4202 BF90 3881 CDE4 D78E 409C 9044

"Put that mic in my hand and let me kick out the jams!" - MC5