Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug in NMAP Scanning suite...

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:31:56 -0700

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 04:29:20PM +0530, RAGHAVENDRAN H. (SSG) - CTD, Chennai. wrote:

While going through the source code for NMap, I think I found something that
may be a bug. I just thought I'd bring it to your notice.

Yep, its a bug!  Thanks for reporting it.  I actually fixed this a
couple weeks ago in my CVS tree when I noticed that 'nmap -F -sU
(target)' would segfault on the latest Nmap (2.54BETA29).  The weird
thing is that I noticed this during my routine usage -- nobody has
ever reported the crash!  It must have been experienced many times --
this is not an obscure flag combination.

So just to set the record straight: I am always interested in hearing
about segfaults in Nmap -- especially when they are reproducible and
in the latest version.  Except that there is no need to report the "-F
-sU" problem now 'cause thats been fixed for the next version :).

Cheers,
Fyodor