Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap-2.54b5+V-CVS (I know... I know... BETA6...)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 17:30:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Jay Freeman (saurik) wrote:

This is the biggee:  table based output.  I got mad, and wrote a library I
don?t even like anymore called "libtabular" that let?s me multiplex my

Cool.  That sounds like an interesting and useful approach.  Clearly the
current output routines for outputting the human-readable port table do
not scale.  Some sort of table creation library will probably be needed.

ACK!  I didn't think he would ever get around to it :).

Heh :).  Well, I have a very long TODO list and the items get shifted
around a bit but they usually get done eventually.  I usually hold off if
I know someone else is working on the same thing, but only if you tell me
you are doing so :).

don?t even yet?) and then get him to move pos_scan and super_scan out into
the separate source files on his end so I can start work on _really_

Sure, I am moving in that direction anyway.  Mostly because I might make
Nmap into a library (or set of libraries) and so I want to isolate just
the nmap command line UI in nmap.c (it will be a client of those
libraries).  So I just released 2.54BETA7 which moves those functions (and
a bunch of others) out to different files.

Oh, and I moved the regex stuff into nbase, where it seemed more
appropriate.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I really think this method would work better.  That way the XML output could
be designed to be as sophisticated as is neccessary, and we just need to get
XSLT to the other formats (which shouldn't be difficult, I write XSLT all

That sounds reasonable, if the XSLTs are powerful enough.  I left native
output of the normal and grepable format inside core Nmap.  But I was
thinking that HTML and DB output should probably be based on the XML.  I
can perceive some arguments for making grepable based on the XML.  I don't
know about standard output.

Output version negotiation between the different versions of various
output formats seems like it could be overkill.  But maybe that is just
me.

Cheers,
Fyodor