Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SYN/FIN scans in nmap?

From: "Ryan Permeh" <ryan () eEye com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:48:48 -0800

this is all well and good, but it's not quite as simple as that.  what
criteria would you use to define open ports?  you would need a much more
robust definition of a scan, including not only the outgoing packets, but
also pertinenet returned packets to define things like port state(open,
closed, filtered), and how icmp packets might look for a response, etc.  not
a bad idea, but if you need a quick tool to do something liek this, you
could cook one in an hour or two using libnet/pcap.

Signed,
Ryan
eEye Digital Security Team
http://www.eEye.com