Nmap Development mailing list archives

tcp and udp fastscan

From: Dion Stempfley <dion () riptech com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:25:22 -0400

I sent a comment earlier, but wasn't subscribed to the list yet.  I
don't know if it was accepted by the list.

I haven't seen any discussion on the list at all, so this is partially a
connectivity test.  Sorry about the repeated content.

When I do a fastscan, I would like to specify tcp and udp scans at the
same time.

Not a real problem, it works now.  But I want to scan 8 or 9 udp ports
and about 200 tcp ports.  I want this primarily for speed.  If I used:

  nmap -sUS -F -PI host

It creates a union of all the port numbers listed in tcp and udp parts
of the services file, then scans all ports for both services.

This is because the ports[] structure is unsigned int and does not allow
for the storage of the protocol.   I want to solve this, but want the
least impact to the overall code baseline.  Any thoughts on the best
way?  If not, I will hack it and see what others think.

Dion Stempfley
dion () riptech com
Riptech Secure Solutions