nanog mailing list archives

RE: registry for onmicrosoft[dot]com

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 23:57:14 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Sat, 9 Mar 2024, Travis Garrison wrote:
 This would be a company that has registered for an office365 account.
 Office
 365 company accounts are registered as companyname [dot] onmicrosoft [dot]
 com. You then add domain aliases if you want to use your own preferred
 domain name.

Microsoft "Know Your Customer"

Just a sampling of company names used for an office365 account.

n8uob4m[dot]onmicrosoft[dot]com
xenfx49[dot]onmicrosoft[dot]com

header onmicrosoft_spammer      From =~ /<\S+\@\S+\.onmicrosoft\.com>/
score onmicrosoft_spammer       15
describe onmicrosoft_spammer    Reject mail from Microsoft spammer obfuscation service

After a bit of whack-a-mole with spam coming from various onmicrosoft.com sub-domains, I arrived at the above, and haven't noticed any negative effects.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)              |  I route
 Blue Stream Fiber, Sr. Neteng  |  therefore you are