nanog mailing list archives

Re: N91 Women mixer on Sunday?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 21:52:54 +0200

On 3/28/24 21:08, Tom Beecher wrote

There was a Women in Tech Mixer on Sunday in Charlotte as well. As I recall there was a pretty decent attendance.

During my time on the PC, we always got a lot of feedback about Sunday when the topic came up. Some members were strongly opposed to anything on Sunday and didn't even like the Hackathon there. Others wanted expansion, and more things slotted in. There certainly wasn't anything remotely close to a consensus. Sometimes people can make it in early on Sunday. Sometimes they can't. There's no one size fits all answer.

I'm not sure people realize how much crap that staff and the PC get *every meeting* about the agenda. There's always someone unhappy because this event wasn't the same, or why was it in this room over here, or OMG Wed afternoon, etc. Having seen how that sausage gets made, they don't get enough credit.

In my opinion, they found a spot that they had room for, and if people can make it with their schedules, then great. If not, hopefully a future slot can work.

Typical constraints such as scheduling and resources notwithstanding, 100% participation is not often guaranteed in most things. It's about planning for as many as can make it. With some luck, it would be the majority.

Mark.