nanog mailing list archives

Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

From: Benny Lyne Amorsen <benny+usenet () amorsen dk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 13:20:26 +0100

Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> writes:

We don't need to extend IPv4, we need to figure out why we are in this
dual-stack mess, which was never intended, and how to get out of it.

Few have figured out how to reliably deliver IPv4 over a IPv6 network,
and customers need IPv4 more than they need IPv6.

There is no easy way for an ISP to provide a /48 with an IPv4 /32 on
top, either using tunnelling or translation, and have the majority of
CPEs just work.

DNS64 and NAT64 are successful for mobile operators, and handsets
generally handle everything seamlessly. The wired world is not so lucky.