nanog mailing list archives

Re: Networks ignoring prepends?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:00:57 -0800

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 11:45 AM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:
The catch to all of that, however, is that he’s not directly peered with 3356 and many AS operators strip communities.

And even if I didn't, the problem isn't just one ISP localprefing to
prefer distant routes. Centurylink most directly impacts me, but as
others have pointed out: many ISPs do the same darn thing. The only
workable solution available to me appears to be tripling my presence
in the DFZ tables.

Because big operators think it reasonable to localpref distance routes
ahead of nearby ones so long as the distant routes arrive from
customers. I'll remember that the next time folks complain about the
size of the routing table. This one you did to yourselves.

Regards,
Bill

--
William Herrin