nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

From: "John R. Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 16 Feb 2024 22:41:25 -0500

That it's possible to implement network security well without using
NAT does not contradict the claim that NAT enhances network security.

I think we're each overgeneralizing from our individual expeience.

You can configure a V6 firewall to be default closed as easily as you can configure a NAT. Once you start making exceptions, it depends on the nature of the exceptions, the way you tell the router about them (CLI, web crudware, whatever) and doubtless other stuff too.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl () taugh com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",