nanog mailing list archives

Re: Opengear alternatives that support 5g?

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 15:49:58 +0000

Quite often I’m looking for OOBM at antenna sites or in remote DCs where there is no Plan B carrier. Cellular has
always been the goto choice for this, but we keep getting pushed out of contracts by technology upgrades. 2g, then 3g,
and  next 4g LTE are being deprecated.

The main reason for network shutdowns is that the carriers have limited spectrum available for expansion. To deliver
faster, more cost effective data service to customers, carriers must re-use existing spectrum licenses with newer, more
efficient cellular technology. Old 2G/3G infrastructure makes way for new networks, and older cellular devices must be
retired. 4g may have a decade left before complete absence, but its footprint is already shrinking where 5G is
available.

I’ve seen this first hand with 4g cellular alarm circuits: suddenly they get less reliable or fail completely, and the
reason always turns out to be degraded RSSI due to 5G deployment.

So 5G is imperative for cellular OOBM, hence the hunt for COTS drop-in replacements that won’t break the bank.
Upgrading, for example, 100 antenna sites is also a major truck roll cost, so we want to get it right the first time.
Physical space and power limitations usually rule out 1U rackmount refurb Cisco terminal servers, which is why we need
0U gear. Yes, I can cobble together a raspberry pi and some hats and cables and dingles and dangles and make a science
fair solution. But I need something that is commercially supported, won’t have me scratching my head later about what
version of the Ubuntu is going to work, and won’t randomly fry its electronics during a power surge.

It’s looking like that solution is firmly priced at ~$500 today.

 -mel