nanog mailing list archives

Re: maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:00:25 -0400

Maybe. That's where my comment about CPU cache starvation comes into
play. I haven't delved into the Juniper line cards recently so I could
easily be wrong, but if the number of routes being actively used
pushes past the CPU data cache, the cache miss rate will go way up and
it'll start thrashing main memory. The net result is that the
achievable PPS drops by at least an order of magnitude.

When you say, you've not delved into the Juniper line cards recently,
to which specific Juniper linecard your comment applies to?

Excellent question.....

--
  ++ytti