nanog mailing list archives

Re: it's mailman time again

From: Aaron de Bruyn via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 15:04:05 +0000

I donno Rich...a couple of decades ago I lost my Slashdot account because someone was able to access it.
I used the password in two places...Slashdot and all the blasted mailman instances I was signed up with.

To this day, I still use the same password on all my mailman subscriptions because I consider mailman insecure for
emailing out passwords. I just obviously don't use the password anywhere else. So you're right that all anyone can do
is unsubscribe me from something...which isn't a big deal, but it makes me wonder just how many people have terrible
mailman passwords and maybe use them elsewhere...and wouldn't report a compromise because...well...it'd make me look
stupid. đŸ˜‰

Ignoring all of that—it's just a horrible practice to not encrypt passwords and to email them out. You don't really
even need a mailman password. You just put in your email address and hit 'unsubscribe'...and it'll send you a link to
click as authorization...so why not drop passwords altogether and just reply on click-to-authorize? Or just encrypt the
passwords and have a "forgot password" click-to-reset like every other app on the planet?

-A