nanog mailing list archives

RE: SMTP-friendly VPS provider where I can also get a BGP feed

From: "Tony Wicks" <tony () wicks co nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:36:03 +1300

Oh, well that's fair enough then. Most engineers I know have sold off the goldmine that is historic IP blocks at this
point. I'd doubt there is much advantage in using your own at this point though with Google moving to their highly
annoying reputation based blocking. So having no email coming from an IP is almost as bad as having spam coming from
other IP's in the block. They will "spam folder" email from fresh IP's until enough users "mark as not spam". I've
taken to spending an hour or two replying to my own emails and "marking as not spam" if I change IP on an email host
and it clears up eventually. Microsoft can randomly block at any time but reporting it here -
https://olcsupport.office.com/ generally gets a human in a day or two that manually whitelists the IP. Google and V6
has been a total nightmare as they just randomly hard block for no reason and there is no way to ever have any human
fix it (after ensuring all their guidelines are followed) so I've given up trying to use V6 to send email to google.